What is Salicylic Acid?
Salicylic acid is a chemical exfoliant that dissolves sebum (oil) and keratin (dead skin cells) which reside on the surface of your skin. It works like other BHAs (beta hydroxy acids), such as glycolic acid, but offers different benefits.
Salicylic acid also has anti-bacterial properties which makes it great for acne-prone skin. This is because it can penetrate through the entire pore-lining of your skin, killing off bacteria that causes acne.
Benefits of Salicylic Acid
- Because salicylic acid is oil-soluble, it can penetrate through the oil that's on your skin and exfoliate inside the pores.
- It stops sebocytes (cells that produce your skin's natural oil) from producing excess oil.
- It's great for acne and blemishes. Salicylic acid unclogs pores, allowing more fresh air into the skin. Oxygen will then weaken bacteria.
- It improves skin texture by removing dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.
- Improves signs of aging because it has anti-inflammatory properties, assists with collagen production, and promotes renewal of skin cells.
- It can lighten dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- It can clear away acne scars on the skin over time.
How to Use Salicylic Acid
Our Z-Blast Claifying Serum has the effective salicylic acid that blasts through the skin's oils to eliminate and prevents pimples.
Always test a small patch of skin before using it on the rest of your face. If there's no irritation after 24 hours, the topical treatment will work for your skin type. Only use a small amount when applying, too much can really irritate the skin.
Salicylic acid is a chemical exfoliant, so do not scrub! Let it soak into your skin and it will do the work for you!
When to Use Salicylic Acid
Salicylic acid topical treatments should be used once or twice daily after cleansing the skin; we recommend using our T-Blast Foaming Cleanser for those with oily and/or acne prone skin. After applying the salicylic topical treatment, wait for 10 minutes before moisturizing your skin (in case you feel a little bit of stinging). We recommend using our Calming Moisturizer to calm and smooth skin with blemishes and large pores. Always follow with sunscreen when you're going outside. Our Sunscreen is hypoallergenic and will not clog pores.
If you have dry or sensitive skin, you should only use this topical treatment once every 2-3 nights, then follow it up with a good moisturizer; we recommend our Gentle Skin Moisturizer for those with sensitive skin.
There are many options for topical acne topical treatments, but using ones with BHA is great for those who have inflamed acne, blackheads, whiteheads, or clogged pores.
Speak with your dermatologist to decide what products are best for your skin.