As children enter their preteen, or tween, years, lots of big changes start happening. Your child will want to spend more time alone in their room, they’ll start picking out their own outfits exclusively, and they’ll develop their first real crushes. One of the rockiest changes that comes along with growing up can be changes to your child’s skin, especially the skin on their face. Though a majority of preteens will deal with acne or, at the very least, the occasional pimple, your preteen may feel as though they are the only one experiencing breakouts and the frustration that comes along with them.
It’s important for your child to begin a skin care regimen sooner rather than later, as good skincare for tweens means clearer skin into adulthood. Less redness and fewer blemishes will also help boost self-confidence, especially if your child has been dealing with serious breakouts. Read on for our best practices for skincare for tweens and the best acne treatment for teens to try if problem skin occurs.
What Happens to Skin During the Preteen Years
As your children reach their preteen years, the beginnings of puberty start to occur. During puberty, your child’s body will go through hormonal changes that will affect their size, height, and body shape. These changes will also affect your child’s skin, in the form of pimples, or acne.
Acne is a broad term that describes the blemishes you see on your skin due to your pores becoming clogged with bacteria, oil, and dead skin cells. Pimples that appear on your child’s face are the most obvious and, for a preteen, the most difficult to deal with. While acne typically improves once your child is out of adolescence, the best acne treatment for teens to begin with is a consistent face washing regimen. Below, we have compiled a list of the best skincare practices for your preteen to incorporate into their daily personal hygiene routine.
Best Practices for Clear Skin
- Wash your face every day: Contrary to what your tween may assume, acne is not only caused by a buildup of dirt on your face, but also from an excess of sweat, oil, and makeup. The best way for your child to clear their skin of these impurities is to wash! A twice-daily face washing routine can be the best acne treatment for teens, as it ensures that your child’s skin will remain free of excess oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells. To properly wash their face, your tween should choose a gentle soap or face wash and after wetting their face, slowly massage the soap into their face in small circles. They should rinse well with warm water and gently pat their face dry. Try Kidskin’s Gentle Skin Cleanser for Kids for a mild cleanser appropriate for all skin types!
- Try an acne fighting kit: Although consistent face washing is enough for many tweens to keep their skin clear and glowing, some skincare for tweens may require starting with a more thorough acne-based wash and cleansing regimen. Kidskin’s 3-Step Acne Treatment for Preteens and Teens is the perfect starter kit, providing your tween with safe, gentle, natural products for cleansing, spot-treating, and moisturizing. Your child should begin by washing with the gentle foaming cleanser, follow up with the acne-blasting serum for each problem spot, and finish with the calming moisturizer. Follow this routine for the best acne treatment for teens that Kidskin has to offer!
- Apply a stronger acne treatment, if needed: The best acne treatment for teens should include salicylic acid, which clears up dead skin cells, fights excess oil production, and kills acne-causing bacteria. Check out Kidskin’s Z-Blast Acne Serum, which combines antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial ingredients with salicylic acid to blast stubborn pimples and reduce redness.
- Use a moisturizer: Consider a moisturizer the best friend of your preteen’s face wash. Not only does a moisturizer leave your child’s skin feeling and looking smoother and more hydrated, but it also helps reduce the likelihood of your child developing overly dry or oily skin, two factors that can cause acne to flare up. Kidskin’s Calming Moisturizer for Kids, Dry Skin and Acne is a gentle, non-greasy lotion that soothes rough skin and helps clear up imperfections. Its white tea extract works well on all skin types to reduce irritation and other problematic conditions, such as eczema and rosacea.
- Wear sunblock: Skincare for tweens doesn’t end once your child has washed their face. Sunscreen is an absolute must for preteens, as it helps protect your child’s skin from sun damage, skin cancer, and acne that may occur due to excessive sun exposure. Kidskin’s Daily Sunscreen SPF30 uses zinc oxide to help protect your child’s skin, as opposed to harsher chemicals found in other sunblocks. Plus, it’s hypoallergenic, so there is no chance your tween will see any new blemishes after applying!
Positive Results of Proper Skincare for Tweens
The best acne treatment for teens is consistency. Your preteen may stick to a face washing and moisturizing routine for a few days but if boredom sets in, let it fall by the wayside. Then they may express dismay when pimples and redness stay put. Though results may take some time to appear, a thorough skincare routine will set your child up for fewer blemishes, deeper skin hydration, less sun damage, and reduced cancer risk.
Created by a kid for kids, Kidskin is committed to promoting skincare for tweens that is safe, effective, and, most importantly, hassle-free. Kidskin has formulated skin care products that work for all skin types and are free of parabens, sulfates, and fragrances. For more information and to shop products, visit Kidskin’s main site!